I love to bake, but especially around the holidays! Even if we’re not having company, there’s just something about having sweet treats in our house that makes it feel more cozy and festive! This holiday pumpkin roll is perfect!
This isn’t one of my “normal” desserts that I make. To be honest, it rather scared me to make this because it looks so difficult! But I felt like it must be a sign from God for me to make this. 2 things: our church pianist (who is an amazing homemaker) showed our church mom’s group how to make this AND I saw an episode of The Great British Bake Off in which sweet roll desserts were featured.
So I thought I would give it a whirl. I’m glad I did! It came out perfectly the first time I tried it! *clap clap* You should try it at least once. It’s such a pretty dessert!
And it’s not too sweet either! Some friends and family don’t have “sweet tooths” and this dessert is for them! In fact, you could even serve it as a breakfast side item. Really!
I didn’t take pictures while I was making it. Sorry! But if you follow the directions carefully, you should have great success too!
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup canned Libby Pumpkin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 2 Tblsp butter - softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Combine ingredients (except pecans) and pour into a greased 11x15 shallow baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Spread pecan top of the batter and bake at 375 for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and IMMEDIATELY turn out on to a wet tea towel (like a kitchen hand towel but more thin) Remove the wax paper from the other side.
- Roll up lengthwise in the tea towel - this helps to cool the roll and gently shape it.
- Refrigerate for 15-30 minutes.
- Make the filling and set aside.
- When done cooling, unroll the cake carefully and spread the filling onto it. Make sure you get filling into the very center of what will be your roll.
- Roll back up without the towel and wrap in cling wrap to secure it. Refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar!
- NOTES: This is a great "make-a-day-ahead" dessert! I wouldn't try freezing it because I'm not sure what the cream cheese mixture would do.
Want more desserts? Try our favorites!