Joan is my very best friend. She is a remarkable, sweet, generous, wonderful person. And she is a terrific cook! Joan is sharing a recipe for cinnamon swirl coffee cake. It’s her family’s favorite coffee cake. Since this family is blessed with lots of Joan’s great cooking, this “favorite” designation is high praise indeed!
This coffee cake would be wonderful to serve on Christmas morning!
Favorite Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
- 1/4 cup canola oil, applesauce, or yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2-3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Brown Sugar Mixture:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Initial steps: Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease or spray 9″ round layer pan, or 8″-9″ square pan.
- Prepare brown sugar mixture: In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, walnuts, and melted butter.
- Make the batter: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oil. applesauce, or yogurt; plus the milk and egg. Add in the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat vigorously to blend, about 1/2 minute.
- Prepare to bake: Spread half of the batter over the bottom of the prepared pan; reserve the rest. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon mixture over the batter in the pan. Swirl around in a meandering pattern. Top first with remaining batter, then with remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Bake: Bake 25-30 minutes.
Parker House Boston Cream Pie
Boston’s Parker House Hotel, currently named Omni Parker House, opened in October 1856. Armenian-French chef M. Sanzian was the original chef at Parker’s Restaurant. He created the wonderful confectionery delight “Boston Cream Pie.” This dessert is still being served at Parker’s restaurant. Wouldn’t it be fun to enjoy some while seated at Table 40, where JFK proposed to Jacqueline Bouvier?
When the Parker House opened, chocolate was mainly consumed at home as a beverage or in puddings. I for one am very grateful that chef Sanzian envisioned a chocolate icing for his new dessert. This may have contributed to its quickly spreading popularity. Of course it has a few other great features! Boston Cream Pie is not a pie at all, but a two layer golden cake filled with pastry cream.
Please visit Ahh The Simple Life to get this delicious classic recipe: Parker House Boston Cream Pie.