After receiving a waffle maker recently, I was so excited to begin my healthy journey through breakfast! Not always taking the time or effort to create a healthy breakfast, I am excited to use this new appliance to compel me towards nutrition. So taking this gluten-free established recipe, I tweaked it.
- 2 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups white rice flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup vegetables oil
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup blueberries
1. In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiffly beaten, set aside.
2. In another bowl beat together the vegetable oil, milk and egg yolks.
3. In another bowl blend together the oats, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add oil/egg yolk mixture to flour mixture, blend and let stand for 5 minutes. Fold in the beaten egg whites.
4. Cook on your waffle maker, that has been sprayed with nonstick spray or rubbed with oil. It will take about 5 minutes to cook through.
These were fluffy waffles, leaning more toward a pancake viscosity. If you like a crispier waffle you might add more blueberries and maybe more flour. If too bland you might add a bit of sugar to the recipe, although it was excellent without. Overall it was good to the taste and a very filling and healthy meal. It makes 8 square waffles. My husband enjoyed these very much!